Skip to main content

Christmas Ruse The Musical

 

Christmas Ruse The Musical Seventeen-year-old Holly wants nothing more than full bellies for her family on Christmas. Instead, she's whisked away to compete against eleven other girls in a series of Christmas-themed contests to win the heart of the reclusive prince. To make matters worse, the prince is an arrogant, servant-hating jerk, or so she thinks. The real prince is hiding in plain sight, waiting for the competition and the magic of Christmas to reveal his true bride.




A Christmas Musical? What was I thinking?


I wanted to write this blog to talk about my process in creating this.

Writing

It actually started last year. I had planned to write a Christmas Vella that I wasn't able to complete on time. Vella is a neat platform for testing ideas and I was happy with how this story was coming out, I knew that I wanted to take another shot at it this year since I only had a little bit left. It ended up being longer than I originally planned but I got the story done anyway.

I was already toying with the idea of trying to turn an audiobook into a musical. My husband came up with the idea and it stuck. I never really considered myself a songwriter in any sense of the word, but I started writing intro/outro songs for my audiobooks for fun. YouTube felt like a platform where I could do anything. 

My process was to write the lyrics and see if I could sing a melody on my phone. 
Then I would take the rough-sounding track to Fiverr and have a pro make a musical track that fit my melody. Then I would pass the whole thing to an actual singer to perform. 

My first few attempts were a lot of fun. My family members all have an interest in music and were able to collaborate. 
I knew I was going to make an audiobook for this story and I needed an intro song for it. It hit me so hard and so fast, the full melody all the lyrics--everything. The problem was, the song took place inside the story rather than as an intro/outro song. 

Music

Since it was a short project, I really only need a couple more songs to make it a full musical. What sounds more magical than a Christmas Musical? So I got to work. We ended up with 6 songs which is a lot more than anticipated. It also wound up being pretty expensive to produce and extremely time-consuming. I had more than 14 people working at once that I had to follow up with for the last few months. Some were singers that only had a few lines, but then they would be amazing and we'd add extra lines for them. It was a lot of back and forth. 

Visuals

Figuring out visuals really came down to the wire. 

Eventually, I sent some stock models to an artist to make me a few "puppets" that I fed into one of those animated picture applications so that the images appeared to be moving. Each one took time to make and then I put those into Canva to add additional effects.  I added stock videos of snow behind the windows and added stock window frames to make it look like it was snowing. There were a lot more that never made it into the show. A lot of trial and error went into it. 

It took forever to put together and it still isn't perfect. I would actually move some of the songs to some different places, not all the visuals are smooth, and sometimes the songs don't come in early enough. Little nitpicky things, but overall I'm very proud. I really created this cool thing from nothing. 

I don't know how it'll do when it launches tomorrow but I'm glad I tried it either way. I actually wrote a Christmas Musical. A few months ago I couldn't imagine saying something like that. It's pretty cool. 

Technology is literally in our hands and we just have to think outside of the box and not limit our capabilities. 

I'm also a very tired Mama who created all of this during my son's nap time and I'm extremely glad it's out of my hands. I'm definitely in need of a break after this project. 




Comments

Kingdom Cold

Kingdom Cold
Buy Kingdom Cold on Amazon.com

Popular posts from this blog

Writing POC: The 5 Major Obstacles You'll Face

When I first became an author, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to represent the African American community the way I'd always wanted to be represented growing up, but in the two years I've been publishing my enthusiasm has waned.  As a teenager, I craved books with Black protagonists--books about magic, romance, and adventure. Unfortunately, the only books with Black protagonists I ever came across back then were about slavery and discrimination. Those books have great value but do little for escapism, especially for a Black teen in rural New Hampshire.  I entered the industry of self-publishing two years ago and I've been lucky to find more success than most new authors. I even managed to land on the USA Today bestseller's list. I dove into the writing community and began networking with successful indie authors and over the course of two years, I've uncovered a slew of obstacles that keep Black characters out of the spotlight.  1. Prepare to Fight If you me

Gifted Fae Academy

It's official I've written 2 complete series! I have to say I'm very proud of this one and not because it made me profitable... well... mostly. The audiobooks for this series are AMAZINGGG. The books are good. The audio is great. Something about having two voice actors brings it to life. The actors have so much chemistry listening to the more **ahem** intimate scenes made me blush... hard. It's hilarious because the words came from my head, but to actually hear a guy read them... it's a really strange experience. I HIGHLY recommend you check it out and if it's out of your budget, send me a message and I'll see if I have any codes left.

My Entire Catalogue

  Well, we're in this now. It's a little wild to see all of my work lined up like this and there were more that I eventually unpublished that I didn't add to this graphic. Now that I'm here, I just feel this immense sense of gratitude to everyone who believed in me while I recklessly pursued this dream. I absolutely have those days when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere but not today. Today I'm responsible for a slew of diverse reads that are unique and quirky just like me.  Next year I'd like to add; Fairygodmothers, Mermaids, Shifters, Fae, and Demigods to this list. Keep an eye out for those. <3